Sunday 25 May 2014

OUIL402 - Studio Brief 2 - Sketching and ideas

Seeing as I knew what I wanted to do for this project, I wanted to research animal testing but I didn't know exactly what practical work I wanted to do I just started experimenting with water colours because I'd not used them much before.
I enjoyed playing with them and really like the messy and soft line quality that they create, however I knew that this had to end up being on an A1 scale and I didn't think that this media would really suite it, however I carried on testing





These were my favourite little gestural paintings I did whilst playing, I really enjoy drawing rabbits because of the fluid and curvy lines you can use to suggest their shape.




Here I was messing around with creating texture using the watercolours but I didn't really like the way it turned out, maybe if I had scanned this in and messed around with it digitally, I would have liked it better.





Although I was enjoying doing these realistic looking watercolour studies I didn't think they would be as effective for the mood that I wanted to communicate within this project, so I moved onto using coloured pencils again.



Below I am starting to play around with composition and format for my final posters
Because I want to screenprint my final poster for the exhibition, I wanted to keep the colour scheme as simple as possible. I chose to use a black, white and red colour scheme as I think these colours best communicated my intent, I wanted to poster to be dark and have a very serious undertone, hence why I decided to make my illustrations look realistic too, for maximum impact.






I tested out a more abstract way of drawing the animals, by using mainly shapes to make up their body, but I decided that the images had more impact if they were more realstic so it would be easy to relate to them and to real animals (because people are stupid like that, things have to be as obvious as possible)







No comments:

Post a Comment